My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls

My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls
My Romance Books

Monday, December 2, 2013


Title: Misfortune's Lady
Author: Sandra Sookoo
Genre: Romance Historical Ménage  Erotica
Review Rating: Four Stars
Reviewer: Linda Hays-Gibbs

Sex and Sensuality

     Mr. John Goddard fell in love with Miranda Ellis Mason Craythorne years ago but had to return to his job as a Bow Street Runner before he could secure their love. She married his best friend after he left and he waited for her to be single again but she remarried too quickly again.
     Miranda fell for John at their last meeting years ago but remarried hurriedly when he left her for his job.         He didn't come to her when she again became a widow and she remarried again still thinking about him.      After years of wondering what it would be like to be with him, he finally shows up at her request. She thought to match him with her cousin but when she sees him she sees her feelings are still engaged with him.
     Richard Howick is a friend of John's that knows all about John's infatuation with the red tipped golden haired widow. He's heard about John's great love for her and fell in love with her from John's ravings of her.
    The problem is they both want her. They devise a plan whereby they can both have her. The next problem is to convince her of their solution.
     This story is supposed to take place in Regency England and although the author gives you an explanation that she used poetic license with her work in this time frame it is still hard for me to believe this setting. I love Regency romance and read the paranormal but the promiscuousness in this time frame is just hard to believe. 
     I realize that the society throws them out and she has nosy neighbors and a rotten butler but it just felt like more humorous than real. I did enjoy the characters but I love a story I can believe even if it has vampires or shapeshifters but the ménage just didn't feel right to me.
     I wanted it to have more plot and the substance of the other characters to have more flesh. They just seemed unreal.
   However, the story was entertaining and the main characters had their own personalities. You found yourself rooting for John and then for Richard. Miranda was just very wishy washy. She just couldn't make up her mind for trying. 
    I detested the butler and her neighbors but they were comical. I digress.
    The long and the short is this: It was an interesting read but essentially not of Regency fabric. The effect was lost on me. 
   I gave the author Four Stars for an interesting sexual stomp through a historical period. As I said before sexual and sensual erotic stomp. The author had a new way to define Regency that I never thought of before. I'm sure some will find it totally tittalating!
Linda Hays-Gibbs

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment