My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls

My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls
My Romance Books

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Title: The Perfect Duke Author: Dawn Ireland Review Rating: Five Star Reviewed by: Linda Hays-Gibbs Garret Weston the Duke of Kendal was betrothed when he was a child to Lady Caroline Pemberton, the Earl of Pemberton's daughter. She was thought to be dead by drowning but was actually kidnapped when six years old and raised by a country vicar as Cara McClure. She has no idea of her true heritage. He has just learned these details from an investigator he hired. Garret's older brother Edward was supposed to be the Duke after their father's death but Edward died in a boating accident. Garret felt responsible for his brother's death and was urged by his brutally mean grandfather to be the perfect Duke that his brother would have been. If Cara was raised by a vicar, then she can hardly be appropriate for the perfect Duke. Garret has a woman in mind to be his perfect wife, Lady Regina Stanton. His plans were interrupted by the discovery that Lady Caroline is still alive. Since Garret is an honorable man, he will see if Lady Caroline is still acceptable as his Duchess by watching her in his employ. He will hire her as governess to his brother Evan's daughter, Rachael. He feels he has hatched the perfect plan to see if she will be able to function in the Tun and not embarrass the Kendal name. He is haughty and mean just like his grandfather wanted him to be. In fact, he is even looking just like his grandfather's nasty portrait. He is cruel to Cara but she is kind to him. She does not behave as he thinks she should. He has met his match and slowly his heart starts to melt but will she care? This is one story I could not put down. The characters were developing and growing before my eyes. I could not believe the arrogance of the Duke and how innocent and trusting Cara is. There was a host of characters that had their own personalities too. The blunt sister of the Duke, Mallory. The kindhearted vicar. The haughty butler and sentimental cook. I felt like I knew them all intimately before the end of the story. I was amazed by the twists and turns and would read it again. I did not want it to end and I will look for this author again. This was an outstanding read for anyone that loves romance in 1787, London, England. The love story made me cry. There is so much to tell but I would never want to spoil it for the next reader. I give it Five Stars out of Five and a thumbs up. I loved it. Linda Hays-Gibbs

No comments:

Post a Comment